Sunday, May 23, 2010

Something of the Marvelous

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.

-- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.), Parts of Animals, bk. 1, ch. 5

Funny how you set out to take a photograph of one thing, then something else catches your eye and takes you in a whole other direction. This podlike, mummified ... thing ... was part of a box of potpourri. (Could it possibly be a slice of orange?) As I headed out to the deck, it was literally underfoot, aglow in the light streaming through the sliding glass doors. Outside, I held it up to the muted sunlight, played with the way it cast a shadow, then realized what a terrific composition it formed against the bold wood grain of the picnic table.

Click on image to enlarge.

2 comments:

Nancy Johnsen Curran said...

Christine! I love this photograph because it's a history of photography. All in one we see the original chiaroscuro represented by the neutral wood tones, in joyous contrast to the modern registration of vibrant color.

Christine said...

Nancy! Little did I know! Thank you. Yes, I love that contrast of the bright orange against the gray. I'm so glad you visited.